2009 Top Ten #6: Tom Design, a jewelry business

Most people know that I make jewelry. That's all it used to be, just making jewelry on the side and kind of selling it wherever. 2009 brought in a whole new side to this jewelry making, it turned into an actual business! Late nights, wholesale orders, stores and customers wanting it, internet sales, weekend craft shows. Crazy! I really can't believe it's turned out the way it has. It actually supplements our income and has provided many opportunities for us. Not to mention the fact that I LOVE shopping and don't feel guilty spending jewelry money.

Tom Design did pretty well in the spring and summer of 2009 and I projected that it would do better in the fall and winter. With this in mind, I decided that I would work 3/4 time as an elementary art teacher and that would give me more time for jewelry. So that's what I did. It was bold and scary, but I did it and it has worked out great. I love going home early from teaching and having time for jewelry.

I'm so grateful that my little business has done so well. It definitely has been a testimony of prayer. I know Heavenly Father hears every word of my prayers and answers them. I feel so much closwer to Him. If you want to gain a stronger testimony, start a business!
By the way, I should mention that having your own business will sometimes rule your life. It's hard work, especially if you already have a job and this is your "second job". Mark will testify that sometimes the dishes don't get done, we sometimes eat cereal for dinner, laundry piles up, the apartment looks like a bomb hit it, and this blog is way overdue for some posts! This is hard work, but I'm still grateful. It was my plan from the beginning to start something that would help us out while Mark was in law school, me home with a baby, and neither of us working. So thank you to everyone who has helped and supported me during all this. Thank you for your purchases and spreading the word. I couldn't do it without you.

No comments: