2009 Top Ten: #8: Home Ec. 101

This is just a little post about my "free time" in 2009. If I wasn't teaching art, preparing a Sunbeam lesson, or making jewelry, I was trying to do something you would find in Home Ec. class.

I learned how to can/bottle fruit, I did peaches, pears, and freezer jam.
These pears made my hands and nails brown for days.

Mark surprised me with a sewing maching for my birthday. He knew I wanted one and how much it cost. One day he called me from work and said, "Look in the pockets of my pants that are on the floor. (of course) There's some pieces of paper I want you have in there." I said okay and looked in the pockets. There was just enough money in bills for the sewing machine! I'm so lucky to have such a great husband!
So far I've made a baby dress, quilt top, baby blankets, a stuffed animal for baby, pillows are in the works, and I've hemmed about a dozen pairs of pants. Mark and I will always need our pants hemmed, and now I can even do a blind hem! So great!
This is the sewing machine, it's considered a "quilter"so it has an extension table and some neato decorative stitches.
Mark uses it sometimes too.
Thanks Marky, I love you!

Of course I also spent my free time making baked goods, treats, and fun cakes. Here's a few.

Pie shells for Pumpkin Pie! mmmmCheckerboard cake
Cake stencils from Ikea make decorating the cake tops so quick and easy!
I also found one of the best recipes for wheat bread thanks to my landlord. Mark prefers it to the store bought kind.

I hope I get an A in Home Ec.!

2 comments:

Heather Solos said...

Wow, you absolutely do. Gorgeous work.

Unknown said...

Wow you are so creative and awesome at all that! I want the awesome wheat bread recipe! And that sewing machine looks really nice! I want to see pics of all the baby stuff you've made so far! I'm very impressed! And that's awesome that you learned how to can/bottle fruit-- I want to learn to do that one day.